Before the appearance of Anglo settlers, huge herds of buffalo and members of the Wichita, Caddo, Comanche and Lipan Apache tribes roamed the Benbrook area. Archaeologists are approximating that the region has been inhabited for about 11,000 years. Indian tribes seek the same environmental elements as modern societies, with the availability of adequate water supply as a major problem. Apparently, the merging of the Clear Fork-Trinity River and Mary's Creek provided such a source of water to the tribes as they passed through the region on hunting expeditions.
Anglos originally settled the Benbrook site, part of Peter's Colony founded by the Republic of Texas, in the 1850s. W. S. Peters of Kentucky was contracted to bring in 250 families a year by giving 320 acres for free to family members and 160 acres for single immigrants, plus a free cabin, seeds and muskets.
A branch of the "Old Chisholm Trail" apparently went past the area, crossing Mary's Creek at Old Rawhide Crossing instead of the current Z. Boaz Park, and served as a route to avoid the main route through downtown Fort Worth. A branch trail, referred to as the Long Trail or Cleburne Cut-Off, extended from Raw Hide Crossing to Cleburne and reduced the trip by 13 miles.
In 1876, local resident James M. Benbrook asked the Texas & Pacific Railroad to place a railroad station along Mary's Creek near Miranda as the railroad went west out of Fort Worth. The line was completed to Benbrook in May 1880 and the station was named after Benbrook Station by the railroad.
At the turn of the century, some of the first transportation channels were set up that are still in use today, as shown in a 1893 US survey. The Texas and Pacific Railroad are now operated by Union Pacific and travel along Mary & # 39; s and Walnut Creeks.
Benbrook's primary settlement, located in a four-block area near the train station, was adjacent to the current intersection of Interstate Highway 20 and U.S. Highway 377 along Aledo Rd. The settlement was reached from the east via the current Old Benbrook Road and Stove Foundry Road (now called Vickery). Winscott-Plover Road extended south along its current route to Dutch Branch, now lowered by Benbrook Lake. A road led east from Winscott-Plover Road near the present Mercedes Street to cross Clear Fork. The remains of this county road are still evident in undeveloped area north of Timber Creek.